- Spending increased by more than 8% per year — three times the rate of inflation.
- Increased the number of government workers increased by 20 percent.
- Increased average citizen's tax burden increased 47 percent.
- Raised gas, sales, income, and cigarette taxes — covering everything from groceries to nursing home beds.
- Calls for a national smoking ban (and we thought California's ban was over the top!).
- Opposes school choice.
- Called for increased federal spending on a variety of programs from infrastructure to health care including more energy subsidies including for ethanol.
- Supports increased agricultural subsidies.
- Opposes President Bush's veto of the proposed expansion of the State Children's Health Insurance Program (SCHIP).
- Is skeptical of most proposals for entitlement reform.
- Rails against high corporate profits and attacks free trade agreements.
- Raised the minimum wage and increased business regulation.
- Says it is "a biblical duty" to pass more regulation to fight global warming.
In case you weren't keeping score, every one of those points above has, historically, been attributed to the Democrat party. The only one that sticks out is the reason for the global warming regulation. No Democrat would have invoked the Bible.
The above actions and beliefs are from none other that the GOP front-runner, Mike Huckabee. But hey, he's anti-gay and anti-abortion - and that's all that matters to the Evangelicals, right? It's OK to sacrifice all the rest of your freedoms as long as those very narrow issues are addressed. Brilliant.